At Children’s Learning Centers, attentive care and whole-child development set us apart from other childcare options in Amarillo. Our teacher-to-child ratios and play-based curriculum nurture growth across all age groups. We understand that each child is unique and requires a different approach to learning and development. That’s why our curriculum is designed to cater to the individual needs of each child, helping them reach their full potential.
Getting a head start on education plays an instrumental role in children’s early years, providing a strong foundation for their overall development.
- It fosters an environment that prioritizes cognitive, social, and emotional growth, preparing children for future academic achievements.
- Engaging in early education helps children to develop critical thinking skills and nurtures their curiosity and creativity.
- It also enhances their social skills, teaching them to interact respectfully and effectively with their peers and adults.
- Furthermore, it offers opportunities for children to recognize and manage their emotions, fostering emotional intelligence from a young age.
For infants, our devoted teachers provide plenty of warm, loving interaction – feeding, rocking, cuddling, and soothing babies with gentle affection. Toddlers receive patient guidance in exploration, potty training, and socialization from teachers who get down on their level.
Our preschool promotes curiosity and skills through hands-on lessons that challenge but never overwhelm. School-aged children benefit from homework help, mentoring, and enrichment activities that build knowledge and self-esteem.
No matter their age, every child is understood as an individual with unique needs. Our teachers strive to support each child in reaching their full potential across all developmental domains.
At Children’s Learning Centers, your child is safe, engaged, and cared for like family. You can have peace of mind knowing our devoted teachers are guiding your child’s growth with expertise, empathy, and dedication unmatched in Amarillo. We look forward to welcoming your child into our compassionate community!
All of our centers at Children’s Learning Centers are licensed through the Texas Health and Human Services Commission and meet stringent state childcare regulations.
In addition, we hold certifications available through Texas Rising Star, a state program quality rating and improvement system for child care. Our Texas Rising Star 4-Star Certification demonstrates our commitment to going above and beyond minimum standards in areas like teacher qualifications, curriculum, and the classroom environment.
How It Began
On April 1, 1925, Amarillo Day Nurseries was organized on a trial basis by the Potter County Federation of Women’s Clubs. The nursery moved into its new home in September 1926, gifted by Mr. and Mrs. Allen Early. From 1926 to 1942 the Board of Directors of the Social Welfare Association was the governing body, sponsored by The Child Study Clubs the nurseries. In 1941, the nursery was expanded with the addition of a toddler unit, and then in 1942 an infant unit was added. In October 1939 the nursery cared for more than 50 infants and children and was incorporated in March 1931 for 25 years.
Plans were announced in September 1963 to build a new day nursery in east Amarillo with excess funds from the Polio Immunization Campaigns during 1962 on land leased for 50 years from the City of Amarillo, donated by The Potter Randall County Medical Society.
The nursery was then named after E. L. Hunter and moved to the Will Rogers Nursery. In 1964, a new building was constructed for Will Rogers Day Nursery, then named McLellan Day Nursery after Bertha McLellan, with the addition to Watley Day Nursery with funds donated by the Kilgore Foundation.
In May 1985, the name was changed to Children’s Learning Centers of Amarillo, Inc., In the following year, CLC merged with the YWCO, and the administrative offices were moved. Childcare was now available at this location. In 1989, the center was renovated and an addition was added with a grant from the Amarillo Area Foundation.
The Lawrence R. Hagy Child Care Center was opened in the medical complex, with CLC managing and staffing the center. Mrs. Wilson and the Kelley family donated their home, naming it The Hazel Kelley Wilson Infant Center, with renovations shortly after. The YWCO building was renamed the Sybil B. Harrington Center in honor of Mrs. Harrington and her many contributions to CLC over many years.
In 1994, The Ethel and Albert Herzstein Living Trust made the Herzstein Learning Center possible, the construction and land gifted from the Loewenstern Family.
In 1995, the Hazel Kelley Wilson Toddler Center was opened, given to CLC by Mrs. Wilson and the Kelley Family. It was completely remodeled by donations from Ken Kelley, Sharon Oscheger, and Judy K. Morgan. In 1996, a grant from the Amarillo Area Foundation updated the Mary Miles Learning Center. Two years later, a grant from the Amarillo Area Foundation helped renovate the McLellan Learning Center.
The 75th-anniversary celebration was held in September 2000 at the gym of the Sybil B. Harrington Center. An 11th center began construction, made possible by Sybil B. Harrington with added support by Don and Donny Mason. The center was later named the Sybil B. Harrington Learning Center and opened in November. Later that year, with grant money from the Amarillo Area/Harrington Foundation renovations were able to begin on the Will Rogers Learning Center.
The Gilliland Family Partnership Group presented CLC with a lot directly across the street from the Sybil B. Harrington Center with a new playground completed with individual donations and an anonymous grant. Sadly, the following year the E.L. Hunter Learning Center was demolished because of structural damage.
However, in September 2003 Kimble Learning Center opened with support with a grant from the City of Amarillo Community Development at half the appraised cost from the Gilliland Family Partnership Group. Renovation and remodeling were made possible by donations from Mr. and Mrs. Jerry Kimble, the Brumley Foundation, and several other donations.
The 80th anniversary was held in April of 2005, CLC was recognized, and the Kimble Learning Center was dedicated.
During the spring and summer of 2007, the interior of the Pavillard Learning Centers was renovated, with funds for the work being raised at the 2006 Poinsettia Luncheon.
In 2007, the McLellan Learning Center was renovated with funds raised at the Poinsettia Luncheon. Later that year, the Herzstein building was sold. Two years later, in 2009, the Children’s Learning Centers welcomed its newest addition to the family! The Curtis-Flemming Learning Center was opened on December 15, 2009, in cooperation with First Christian Church of Amarillo.
Child Care Openings
Openings at each center change daily, even hourly. It is best to call our intake department for the latest space available.
They can be reached at (806) 374-5223 from 7:30am to 5:00pm Monday through Friday